Alan and Dorota were invited to give a seminar talk called Manuscripts and newspapers: Using machine learning to map the sciences and identify political bias at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities (HELDIG) pizza seminar.
We use reinforcement learning and user modelling to develop practical systems that help users navigate massive data sets interactively. The research interests of the group include personalisation, exploratory search, experimental design and evaluation methodology. Our research is published in top venues for information retrieval and human-computer interaction. We are part of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Helsinki.
Towards fine-grained adaptation of exploration/exploitation in information retrieval IUI 2017
Is exploratory search different? A comparison of information search behavior for exploratory and lookup tasks JASIST 2016
Balancing exploration and exploitation: Empirical parameterization of exploratory search systems CIKM 2015
Directing exploratory search: Reinforcement learning from user interactions with keywords IUI 2013
04 October 2019
02 August 2019
Arlene presented A Framework for Annotating ‘Related Works’ to Support Feedback to Novice Writers at LAW13 in Florence, Italy.
25 July 2019
Arlene presented Can Models of Author Intention Support Quality Assessment of Content? at BIRNDL in Paris, France.
04 July 2019
Paper accepted at RANLP 2019 (Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, 2019)!
Past PhD Students
Past Research Assistants
- Ioannis Gkiliris MSc (moved to Quantexa)
- Chien-yu Huang MSc
- Dhruv Tripathi MSc (moved to Rabobank)
- Peiyu Zhang MSc
- Evgenia Lyjina Research assistant.
- Kalle Ilves Research assistant.
- Ksenia Konyushkova MSc (started PhD at EPFL).
- Sayantan Hore MSc (moved to Verto Analytics).
- Lasse Tyrvainen MSc (moved to Cloud'n'Sci).
- Alex Yuan Gao MSc (started PhD at Uppsala University).
- Haibo Jin MSc (moved to the Chinese Academy of Sciences).
- Amin Sorkhei MSc (moved to Rovio).
- Ping Wang MSc.