We are looking to hire summer interns for several human-computer interaction, information retrieval and machine learning projects! See here for project descriptions. If you are interested or would like more information about a specific project, please email either Dorota or Alan.
We use reinforcement learning and user modelling to develop practical systems that help users navigate massive data sets interactively. The research interests of the group include personalisation, exploratory search, experimental design and evaluation methodology. Our research is published in top venues for information retrieval and human-computer interaction. We are part of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Helsinki.
Towards fine-grained adaptation of exploration/exploitation in information retrieval IUI 2017
Is exploratory search different? A comparison of information search behavior for exploratory and lookup tasks JASIST 2016
Balancing exploration and exploitation: Empirical parameterization of exploratory search systems CIKM 2015
Directing exploratory search: Reinforcement learning from user interactions with keywords IUI 2013
30 November 2018
Two papers accepted at CHIIR 2019, based on work by Chien-yu Huang and Dhruv Tripathi during their MSc projects. Well done!
03 November 2018
Please submit your articles to our IUI 2019 workshop on Exploratory Search and Interactive Data Analytics in Los Angeles, USA! Please see the call for papers on the ESIDA website for details.
23 October 2018
Dorota presented our paper How consistent is relevance feedback in exploratory search? at CIKM 2018 in Torino, Italy.
Past PhD Students
Past Research Assistants
- Ioannis Gkiliris MSc (moved to Quantexa)
- Chien-yu Huang MSc
- Dhruv Tripathi MSc (moved to Rabobank)
- Peiyu Zhang MSc
- Evgenia Lyjina Research assistant.
- Kalle Ilves Research assistant.
- Ksenia Konyushkova MSc (started PhD at EPFL).
- Sayantan Hore MSc (moved to Verto Analytics).
- Lasse Tyrvainen MSc (moved to Cloud'n'Sci).
- Alex Yuan Gao MSc (started PhD at Uppsala University).
- Haibo Jin MSc (moved to the Chinese Academy of Sciences).
- Amin Sorkhei MSc (moved to Rovio).
- Ping Wang MSc.