Please submit your articles to our IUI 2018 workshop on Exploratory Search and Interactive Data Analytics in Tokyo, Japan! Please see the call for papers on the ESIDA website for details.
We use reinforcement learning and user modelling to develop practical systems that help users navigate massive data sets interactively. The research interests of the group include personalisation, exploratory search, experimental design and evaluation methodology. Our research is published in top venues for information retrieval and human-computer interaction. We are part of the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh.
Towards fine-grained adaptation of exploration/exploitation in information retrieval IUI 2017
Is exploratory search different? A comparison of information search behavior for exploratory and lookup tasks JASIST 2016
Balancing exploration and exploitation: Empirical parameterization of exploratory search systems CIKM 2015
Directing exploratory search: Reinforcement learning from user interactions with keywords IUI 2013
27 November 2017
31 October 2017
Dorota gave a tutorial on Bandit Algorithms in Interactive Information Retrieval at ICTIR 2017 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
13 June 2017
Joel presented his paper Dynamic exploratory search in content-based image retrieval at SCIA 2017 in Tromsø, Norway.
Past PhD Students
- Kumaripaba Athukorala PhD (moved to Rovio).
Past Research Assistants
- Evgenia Lyjina Research assistant.
- Kalle Ilves Research assistant.
- Ksenia Konyushkova MSc (started PhD at EPFL).
- Sayantan Hore MSc (moved to Verto Analytics).
- Lasse Tyrvainen MSc (moved to Cloud'n'Sci).
- Alex Yuan Gao MSc (started PhD at Uppsala University).
- Haibo Jin MSc (moved to the Chinese Academy of Sciences).
- Amin Sorkhei MSc (moved to Rovio).
- Ping Wang MSc.